Our research focuses on developing and applying innovative measurement techniques, as well as established experimental methods, to study fundamental problems in the field of aerodynamics and solid mechanics. The bulk of this effort is conducted by students and with collaborators at UA and across the country. Graduate and undergraduate students interested in participating in these research areas, please email for current opportunities and assistantships. Of particular interest are
Past research has been funded by AEDC, AFOSR, AMRDEC, ASGC, CUBRC, Ford/Visteon, NASA LaRC, NSF, UA and UF-REEF.
Current research is investigating high-speed PSPs and LPCs and low Re propeller-plate interactions. Also, we host an NSF REU SITE program with collaborators across the college of engineering focusing on fluid mechanics.
- Chen, M, D Crane and JP Hubner (2019) "Experimental Investigation of Rotor-wing Interaction at Low Disk Loading and Low Reynolds Number," AIAA Paper 2019-3034, June.
- Chism, K, J Kawell and JP Hubner (2019) "Luminescent Measurement Technique for Analysis of Static and Dynamic Pressure and Strain Fields," AIAA Paper 2019-3150, June.
- Wrist, A, and JP Hubner (2018) "Aerodynamic Comparisons of Flexible Membrane MAV Wings with Cambered and Flat Frames," International Journal of Micro Air Vehicles, 10(1):12-30, DOI: 10.1177/1756829317705327.
- Wahidi, R, SM Ölçmen and JP Hubner (2018) “Different Approaches to Applying POD Analysis to 3D3C Data in a Large Measurement Volume,” International Journal of Fluid Mechanics Research, DOI: 10.1615/InterJFluidMechRes.2018020625
- Zhang, Z, A Wrist, and JP Hubner (2017) “Effects of Leading-Edge Vibration on a Spanwise-Tensioned Membrane at Low Reynolds Number," Journal of Fluids and Structures,69:441-457, DOI: 10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2016.12.009.
- Wahidi, R, JP Hubner and SM Ölçmen (2016) “On the Streamwise and Normal Vortices Forming on Plates with Spanwise Periodic Cambering,” Aerospace Science and Technology, 58:453-466, DOI: 10.1016/j.ast.2016.09.003.
- Zhang, Z, N Martin, A Wrist, and JP Hubner (2015) "Geometry and Pre-tension Effects on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of Membrane Wings," Journal of Aircraft, 53(2):530-544, DOI:10.2514/1.C033386
- Wahidi, R, JP Hubner and Z Zhang, (2014) "3D Measurements of Separated Flow over Rigid Plates with Spanwise Periodic Cambering at Low Reynolds Number," Journal of Fluids and Structures, 49:263-282, DOI:10.1016/j/jfluidstructs.2014.04.016
- Zhang, Z, L Hopper, A Wrist, JP Hubner and L Ukeiley (2014) "Nondimensional Frequency Scaling of Aerodynamically-Tensioned Membranes," Journal of Fluids and Structures, 48:14-26, DOI: 2610.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2014.02.005.
- Wahidi, R, W Lai, JP Hubner and A Lang (2013) "Time-Averaged and Time-Resolved Volumetric Velocimetry Measurements of a Laminar Separation Bubble on an Airfoil," European Journal of Mechanics-B/Fluids, 41:46-59, DOI: 10.1016/j.euromechflu.2013.04.003.
- Abudaram, YJ, PG Ifju, LS Ukeiley and JP Hubner (2013) "Controlling Pre-tension of Silicone Membranes on Micro Air Vehicle Wings," Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, 49(3):161-170, DOI:10.1177/0309324713490926.
- Timpe, A, Z Zhang, JP Hubner and L Ukeiley (2013) "Passive Flow Control by Membrane Wings for Aerodynamic Benefit," Experiments in Fluids, 54(3):1-23 DOI: 10.1007/s00348-013-1471-0.
- Arce, MA (speaker), A Timpe, LS Ukeiley, JP Hubner and PG Ifju (2013) “Passively Compliant Membranes of Low Aspect Ratio Wings,” 51th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA Paper 2013-0681, January